Dell EqualLogic PS4100XV 3.5″ Array
High-performance arrays for enterprise data centers
Enhance your enterprise data center with the high-performance, high-capacity and cost-effective Dell™ EqualLogic™ PS4100XV 3.5″ GbE iSCSI arrays.
The Dell EqualLogic™ PS4100 Series of virtualised iSCSI SAN arrays are designed to bring enterprise-class features, intelligence, automation and reliability to remote or branch office, departmental and small-to-medium business (SMB) storage deployments.
The PS4100 Series addresses branch office and SMB storage needs with simplified administration, rapid deployment and an affordable price, while providing a full set of enterprise-class data protection and management features, high performance, scalability and fault-tolerance. With 12 SAS 3.5” HDDs and up to 7.2TB1 of capacity, the PS4100XV 3.5” is an excellent balance of cost, capacity and performance. And its space-saving 2U/3.5” form factor optimises performance per rack U.
To grow storage capacity and performance for remote office needs, two PS4100 arrays can be combined in a SAN group. To further scale out the SAN, EqualLogic PS6100 arrays can be added seamlessly without sacrificing the initial investment in PS4100 arrays.
To help prevent both under-utilisation and over-provisioning, EqualLogic PS Series arrays are based on a virtualised modular storage architecture that enables IT managers to purchase only the storage they need, when they need it. Using innovative data movement technology, all EqualLogic PS Series arrays within a SAN work together to automatically manage data, load balance across all resources, and expand to meet growing storage needs.
Offering built-in storage features previously available only to top-tier data centers, the PS4100X enables best-practice storage for remote, branch-office and departmental deployments. The EqualLogic PS Series arrays include the following enterprise data services and software features with no additional software licensing fees: SAN HeadQuarters (SAN HQ) Multi-SAN historical performance monitoring, auto-replication, RAID load balancing, complete SAN virtualisation, thin provisioning and much more.
Dell EqualLogic PS4100XV – Great for:
- Reducing the storage footprint by optimising performance per rack U
- Server virtualisation in remote offices
- Simplifying data protection and disaster recovery at remote sites and small medium businesses
- Easy expansion to enterprise-class SAN with PS6100 arrays
Enterprise features for smaller deployments
Ideal for your growing storage needs, the PS4100XV 3.5” GbE iSCSI array is a Dell Fluid Data™ solution that offers a virtualised architecture, enterprise software and easy administration at an affordable price.
- Take advantage of a data-center class IT solution in small and midsize businesses as well as enterprise branch offices.
- Use the EqualLogic virtualised scale-out architecture for server consolidation and virtualisation.
- Integrate full snapshot, replication and application integration for data protection and disaster recovery.
- Cut management time and costs with self-optimising performance and automation.
- Manage your enterprise-wide EqualLogic SAN, including PS4100 remote-site arrays, with EqualLogic SAN Headquarters.
- Expand easily into a larger EqualLogic SAN by adding PS4100 (maximum two per group) and PS6100 arrays to scale capacity and performance.
Whether you’re consolidating a direct-attached storage (DAS) infrastructure, migrating data from an existing SAN or NAS system, streamlining data protection processes, or simply adding storage capacity, the Dell EqualLogic PS4100 series offers a solution. The proven, high-performance, self-managing storage arrays are designed to meet the requirements of your growing business.
Choose your array
Build a more powerful data center using PS4100XV 3.5” arrays. With 12 SAS 3.5” HDDs and up to 7.2 terabytes of capacity, the PS4100XV 3.5” is an excellent balance of cost, capacity and performance.
The Dell EqualLogic PS4100 series enables you to choose the storage solution that best suits your small or midsize business or enterprise branch office. The PS4100 Series family features:
- Dual controllers designed for built-in redundancy
- Two GbE ports per controller
- Dedicated 10/100 management port per controller
- 6G SAS backplane
- Options for 6, 12 or 24 hot-swappable drives
- 7.2K NL-SAS, 10K SAS, or 15K SAS drives
- Cache-to-flash memory de-staging
- Peer-scaling architecture that scales performance linearly
- Vertical Port Failover, designed to enable you to maintain full bandwidth if a networking port fails
- Group Manager, which integrates all management into one console for both file and block storage protocols
- Array firmware and host software with no additional licenses or fees
Grow confidently with advanced Array Software features
Meet your current storage needs and future data management requirements with EqualLogic™ Array Software.
- Synchronous Replication: Maintain two identical copies of a volume across two different storage pools in the same PS Series for real-time data protection.
- Volume Unmap: Recover unused space previously allocated to thin-provisioned volumes for better storage capacity utilisation and cost-effectiveness.
- Snapshot Space Borrowing: Temporarily increase the available snapshot space for a volume by borrowing from the snapshot reserve of other volumes and pool-free space, improving your capacity management.
Dual controllers, each with 4GB memory for PS-series firmware. Each controller provides cache to flash for data protection.
Hard Disk Drives
Twelve (12) 15K SAS hot-pluggable hard drives. (Six (6) drive configuration available. Please contact your Dell Sales Representative for details.)
3.5″ 15,000 RPM SAS and SAS SED drives available in 600 GB1
3.6 TB1 using six (6) 600 GB1 15,000 SAS disk drives
7.2 TB1 using twelve (12) 600 GB1 15,000 SAS and SAS SED disk drives
Up to 256
128 per volume / up to 2,048 total per group
Up to 512 per pool / 1024 per group
Any standards-compliant iSCSI initiator
Operating Systems Supported
Windows® 2000 Server, Windows Server® 2003, Windows Server® 2008, including Hyper-V™, Windows Vista®, Windows Server® 2008 R2 including Hyper-V™, Windows XP®, Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®, SUSE® Linux® Enterprise, Sun™ Solaris™, IBM® AIX®, HP-UX, Mac OS® X, VMware® ESX Server 3 / 3.5 / 4 / 4.1 / 5, ESXi 3.5 / 4 / 4.1 / 5, Citrix® XenServer™, Novell® NetWare®
RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10, and RAID 50
GbE Network Interfaces
Two (2) GbE copper, One (1) 10/100 copper (optional management network only) per controller
TCP Network Support
IPv4, IPv6 core support
Can be combined with other EqualLogic PS Series arrays in the same SAN group, online. A maximum of two (2) PS4x00 arrays can be in a group.
Vertical port sharing
Redundant hot-swappable controllers, power supplies / cooling fans, and hot-swappable disks
Individual disk drive slot power control
Enclosure Monitoring System
Automatic spare configuration and utilisation
Automatic bad block replacement
Auto-Stat Disk Monitoring System (ADMS) to monitor health of data on disk drives
SAN Headquarters multi-group performance and event monitoring tool
Ability to configure a separate management network
SNMP, telnet, SSH, HTTP, Web (SSL), host scripting
Access control for iSCSI
Access control for management interfaces including RADIUS support
SNMP traps, e-mail, syslog
AC voltage: 100-240 VAC ±10% single phase
700 W (max, total), +5V up to 155W; +12V up to 624W; +5Vsb up to 10W
Frequency: 50/60 Hz
Power factor: 0.98 (minimum)
Power supplies: Dual 700 W
Height: 2U / 8.68 cm (3.41 inches)
Width: 44.63 cm (17.57 inches)
Depth: 59.4 cm (23.4 inches)
Weight: 26.76 kg (59 lbs)
Packaged physical: Length: 851 cm (33.50 inches) Width: 629 cm (24.75 inches) Depth: 395 cm (15.56 inches)
Packaged weight: 39.9161 kg (88lbs)
Dell ReadyRails™ sliding rails for square-hole 4-post and 2-post racks 1U/2U Rail Attachment Brackets, designed to enable PS Arrays to snap into place with screws or other hardware
Dell VersaRails sliding rails for 4-post and 2-post racks 1U/2U Rail Attachment Brackets, designed to enable PS Arrays to be mounted in racks whose posts have round holes
Environmental Operating Conditions
Temperature range: 5° to 40°C (41° to 104°F)
Storage temperature: –40° to 65°C (–40° to 149°F)
Altitude: For altitudes above 2950 feet, the maximum operating temperature is derated 1ºF/550 ft.
Relative humidity: 20% to 80% (noncondensing) with a maximum humidity gradation of 10% per hour
Shock: Half-sine shock 31G +/- 5% with a pulse duration of 2.6ms +/- 10% in operational orientations only
Vibration: 0.26 Grms (5 to 350 Hz) for 5 minutes in operational orientations
Acoustics Category 4: <=7.2 bels at 23C +/- 2C
Air Quality: Airborne contaminant level of G1 or lower as defined by ISA-S71.04-1985
EqualLogic Array Software
Dell delivers comprehensive end-to-end solutions to help you store and manage your data so you can efficiently move the right data to the right place at the right time for the right cost. EqualLogic™ array software and host software are part of these solutions and are included with your Dell EqualLogic array purchase, providing all the tools your organisation needs for a complete storage area network (SAN) solution.
Each EqualLogic array ships with a powerful set of features that help you manage, protect and optimise your data. The EqualLogic Group Manager helps streamline storage and data management while the EqualLogic Manual Transfer Utility helps minimise downtime when transferring large amounts of data. EqualLogic PS Series Firmware is the foundation of the EqualLogic software family.
Integrated across the entire family of EqualLogic PS arrays, the EqualLogic Firmware is a SAN operating system based on a unique peer storage architecture that:
- Virtualises SAN resources
- Enables peer scalability of up to 16 arrays
- Provides intelligent data management functionality
- Automatically adjusts system resources
- Optimises performance
- Reduces human intervention
EqualLogic Host Integration Tools
This family of host-based software provides tight integration between the Dell EqualLogic array and the host. Dell provides host integration tools for Microsoft®, VMware® and Linux® environments, providing customers with the following benefits:
- Comprehensive data protection and availability
- Integrated storage management
- Reliable performance
- Streamlined array configuration
EqualLogic SAN Headquarters
Dell EqualLogic SAN Headquarters (SAN HQ) is a centralised monitoring and reporting tool that gathers and provides in-depth information on performance, capacity and alerts across multiple groups of Dell EqualLogic PS arrays, helping improve performance and effective allocation of group resources.