Dell EqualLogic PS4100E Array
Gain SSD performance and HDD capacity in one iSCSI array
The Dell EqualLogic family of virtualised iSCSI SANs are designed to provide responsive, reliable support to end users; while increasing efficiency and decreasing the cost of data management.
The PS6100XS virtualised iSCSI arrays are ideal for optimising responsiveness of applications through intelligent tiering of data, within the array, across low-latency SSD drives and performance sensitive 10K RPM SAS hard disks, benefits include:
- Optimise performance of tiered application workloads, such as virtual desktop or applications delivered as a service
- Intelligent data placement across SSD and 10K RPM SAS helps deliver excellent user responsiveness for tiered workloads
- Balance cost and performance with 13TB1 using a combination of SSD and 10K RPM SAS in a single array
- 2.5” disks configured in a 2U chassis optimizes performance per rack U and reduces its storage footprint
The PS6100XS reinforces the EqualLogic principles of intelligence, automation and scalable performance, with the addition of optimised data response for your applications through intelligent data tiering. Using a combination of low-latency SSD and performance-oriented SAS drives the PS6100XS automatically places data on the appropriate disk technology using historical I/O and performance patterns and helps optimise data response for your applications while maximizing efficiency.
The ability to sense and intelligently respond to data requirements is a valuable feature for applications like virtual desktops that can benefit from low-latency SSD during desktop initialisation (i.e. Bootstorm) and often require cost effective, performance-oriented storage for user data files.
All PS Series storage arrays include SAN configuration features and capabilities that sense network connections, automatically build RAID sets, and conduct system health checks to help ensure that all components are fully functional. A PS6100XS is designed to be installed, configured, and serving storage in less than one hour.
Dell EqualLogic PS6100XS Array – Great for:
- Mission-critical high I/O database applications: Oracle & SQL OLTP, etc.
- High virtualisation performance
- Heavy Microsoft® Exchange deployments
- Consolidation of top-tier application data
- Scale-out capacity and performance
Designed to scale with your business
Experience the low-latency advantage of SSD storage plus high HDD capacity in a single PS6100XS iSCSI array, a Dell Fluid Data™ solution with a virtualised scale-out architecture that delivers enhanced storage performance and reliability that is easy to manage.
- Help eliminate downtime and performance penalties with smooth, incremental SAN expansion.
- Grow your virtual storage alongside your virtual server growth.
- Change hardware without disruption.
- Add or remove arrays at will, according to policy, age, application or business needs
- Easily mix new disk or network technologies in the SAN.
- Move volumes (databases/VMs) online between any pool or disk resources.
- Avoid forklift upgrades or data-in-place migrations that cost time and money.
- Automatically balance loads across disks and multiple arrays in a pool.
- Help eliminate manual re-distributing of capacity or application workloads (downtime and services costs)
Choose your array
Add extensive versatility to your enterprise storage needs using PS6100XS arrays. Combining seven SSDs with 17 HDDs into a single solution, the PS6100XS GbE iSCSI array adds a great deal of storage flexibility to your enterprise.
The Dell EqualLogic PS6100 Series family features:
- Dual controllers designed for built-in redundancy
- Four GbE ports per controller
- Dedicated 10/100 management port per controller
- 6G SAS backplane
- Options for 12 or 24 hot-swappable drives
- 7.2K NL-SAS, 10K SAS, or 15K SAS drives or solid-state drives (SSDs)
- Cache-to-flash memory de-staging
- Peer-scaling architecture that scales performance linearly
- Vertical Port Failover, designed to enable you to maintain full bandwidth if a networking port fails
- Group Manager, which integrates all management into one console for both file- and block-storage protocols
- Array firmware and host software with no additional licenses or fees
Grow confidently with advanced Array Software features
Meet your current storage needs and future data management requirements with EqualLogic™ Array Software.
- Synchronous Replication: Maintain two identical copies of a volume across two different storage pools in the same PS Series for real-time data protection.
- Volume Unmap: Recover unused space previously allocated to thin-provisioned volumes for better storage capacity utilisation and cost-effectiveness.
- Snapshot Space Borrowing: Temporarily increase the available snapshot space for a volume by borrowing from the snapshot reserve of other volumes and pool-free space, improving your capacity management.
Dual controllers, each with 4GB memory for PS-series firmware. Each controller provides cache to flash for data protection.
Hard Disk Drives
Seven (7) hot-pluggable Solid State Disk (SSD) drives and Seventeen (17) hot-pluggable SAS hard disk drives
Combines 2.5″ 400 GB SSD drives and 2.5″ 600 GB2 10,000 RPM SAS drives
13 TB2 using seven (7) 400 GB2 SSD drives and seventeen (17) 600 GB 10,000 SAS disk drives
Up to 1,024
512 per volume / up to 10,000 total per group
Up to 1,024
Any standards-compliant iSCSI initiator
Operating Systems Supported
Windows® 2000 Server, Windows Server® 2003, Windows Server® 2008, including Hyper-V™, Windows Vista®, Windows Server® 2008 R2 including Hyper-V™, Windows XP®, Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®, SUSE® Linux® Enterprise, Sun™ Solaris™, IBM® AIX®, HP-UX, Mac OS® X, VMware® ESX Server 3 / 3.5 / 4 / 4.1 / 5, ESXi 3.5 / 4 / 4.1 / 5, Citrix® XenServer™, Novell® NetWare®
Four (4) copper per controller + One (1) dedicated management port
TCP Network Support
IPv4, IPv6 core support
Can be combined with other EqualLogic PS Series arrays in the same SAN group, online. Up to 16 total members per group
Vertical port sharing
Redundant hot-swappable controllers, power supplies / cooling fans, and hot-swappable disks
Individual disk drive slot power control
Enclosure Monitoring System
Automatic spare configuration and utilisation
Automatic bad block replacement
Auto-Stat Disk Monitoring System (ADMS) to monitor health of data on disk drive
SAN Headquarters multi-group performance and event monitoring tool
Ability to configure a separate management network
SNMP, telnet, SSH, HTTP, Web (SSL), host scripting
Access control for iSCSI
Access control for management interfaces including Active Directory, LDAP, or RADIUS support
SNMP traps, e-mail, syslog
AC voltage: 100-240 VAC ±10% single phase, 700 W (max, total), +5V up to 155W; +12V up to 624W; +5Vsb up to 10W
Frequency: 50/60 Hz
Power factor: 0.98 (minimum)
Power supplies: Dual 700 W
Height: 2U / 8.68 cm (3.41 inches)
Width: 44.63 cm (17.57 inches)
Depth: 54.1 cm (21.3 inches)
Weight: 24.49 kg (54 lbs)
Packaged physical: Length: 851 cm (33.50 inches) Width: 629 cm (24.75 inches) Depth: 395 cm (15.56 inches)
Packaged weight: 36.2873 kg (80lbs)
Dell ReadyRails™ sliding rails for square-hole 4-post and 2-post racks 1U/2U Rail Attachment Brackets, designed to enable PS Arrays to snap into place with screws or other hardware
Dell VersaRails sliding rails for 4-post and 2-post racks 1U/2U Rail Attachment Brackets, designed to enable PS Arrays to be mounted in racks whose posts have round holes
Environmental Operating Conditions
Temperature range: 5° to 40°C (41° to 104°F)
Storage temperature: –40° to 65°C (–40° to 149°F)
Altitude: For altitudes above 2950 feet, the maximum operating temperature is derated 1ºF/550 ft.
Operating Relative humidity: 20% to 80% (noncondensing) with a maximum humidity gradation
of 10% per hour
Operational shock: Half-sine shock 31G +/- 5% with a pulse duration of 2.6ms +/- 10% in operational orientations only
Operating Vibration: 0.26 Grms (5 to 350 Hz) for 5 minutes in operational orientations
Acoustics Category 4: <=7.2 bels at 23C +/- 2C
Air Quality: Airborne contaminant level of G1 or lower as defined by ISA-S71.04-1985
EqualLogic Array Software
Dell delivers comprehensive end-to-end solutions to help you store and manage your data so you can efficiently move the right data to the right place at the right time for the right cost. Dell EqualLogic™ array software and host software are part of these solutions and are included with your EqualLogic array purchase, providing all the tools your organisation needs for a complete storage area network (SAN) solution.
Each EqualLogic array ships with a powerful set of features that help you manage, protect and optimise your data. The EqualLogic Group Manager helps streamline storage and data management while the EqualLogic Manual Transfer Utility helps minimise downtime when transferring large amounts of data. Dell EqualLogic PS Series Firmware is the foundation of the EqualLogic software family.
Integrated across the entire family of EqualLogic PS arrays, the EqualLogic Firmware is a SAN operating system based on a unique peer storage architecture that:
- Virtualises SAN resources
- Enables peer scalability of up to 16 arrays
- Provides intelligent data management functionality
- Automatically adjusts system resources
- Optimises performance
- Reduces human intervention
EqualLogic Host Integration Tools
This family of host-based software provides tight integration between the EqualLogic array and the host. Dell provides host integration tools for Microsoft®, VMware® and Linux® environments, providing customers with the following benefits:
- Comprehensive data protection and availability
- Integrated storage management
- Reliable performance
- Streamlined array configuration
EqualLogic SAN Headquarters
Dell EqualLogic SAN Headquarters (SAN HQ) is a centralized monitoring and reporting tool that gathers and provides in-depth information on performance, capacity and alerts across multiple groups of EqualLogic PS arrays, helping improve performance and effective allocation of group resources.